Questions to Ask
Some important questions to ask your child when they start a new job include:
- Did you receive a health and safety orientation and job-specific safety training on what you need to know to do your job safely? What did they discuss with you?
- Who is supervising you to be sure you are doing the job safely?
- Are you using any equipment or machinery? If so, have you been told how to use it properly?
- Are there guards on the machinery to prevent you from getting caught or pulled in, or emergency stop buttons within reach in case the worst happens?
- Do you know what to do if there is an emergency at your workplace?
- Have you been told about any job hazards?
- Do you know how to protect yourself from these hazards?
- Are you working with any dangerous materials or chemicals?
- If so, have you received training on how to use them safely? Have you been taught about reading safety labels, and the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)?
- Do you wear protective equipment on the job such as a hard hat, safety goggles and steel-toe boots? If so, do you know when to wear the equipment and how to wear it properly?
- Is there a risk of you having a slip, trip or fall? Could you be lifting objects that are too heavy? If so, do you know how to avoid these risks?
- Are you working from heights? If so, were you trained on how to use the proper safety equipment, such as a step or stock ladder or fall arrest system?
- Do you have a safety representative at work, or someone you can talk to about your questions and safety concerns? Can you report any unsafe working conditions and injuries to them?
Checklist for youth
< Go Back to No Mercy Front Page